The main trends which define the social and ecological situation in the country are:
- economic growth based on increase of extraction of natural resources;
- increase of dependency of the economy of the country on raw material sectors;
- deteriorating condition of water resources;
- increasing pollution of soil and atmosphere;
- growth of sickness rate caused by environmental pollution;
- continuing deterioration of the state environmental protection system;
- weakening of legislation in favor of polluters;
- failure to follow obligations of the international and national legislation by the state authorities of all levels;
- high level of corruption;
- limitation of public access to the national natural resources;
- restriction of public access to environmental information, decision-making process, and justice in the matters related to the environment;
- massive violations of human rights on favorable environment.
Social and Ecological Situation in Kazakhstan: Facts and Numbers
(Green Salvation Herald 2014. For the Fifth Meeting of the Parties to the Aarhus Convention).