of non-governmental human rights organizations of Kazakhstan on joint activity related to monitoring the implementation of commitments made by the Republic of Kazakhstan in the field of democracy development, rule of law, implementation of human rights and freedoms given the pending chairmanship of Kazakhstan in OSCE
Taking into account that in 1992 the Republic of Kazakhstan became a member of CSCE (OSCE),
In view of the fact that in his letter to the conference of CSCE Council in Prague of January , 1992 the Government of Kazakhstan declared its adoption of Helsinki Final Act, Prague Charter for New Europe, and also all other documents of the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe,
Taking into account that according to the Document of the CSCE Moscow Meeting of the Human Dimension Conference (1991) member-states recognized international nature of human rights issues, fundamental freedoms, democracy and rule of law given that implementation of these rights and freedoms makes up one of the fundamentals of international order,
– that in this connection they strongly and finally declared commitments they have taken in the area of OSCE human dimension to be issues of direct and legal interest for all the member-states and not the issues of exclusively internal affairs of a respective state;
– that they have stated their determination to implement their obligations in the field of human dimension;
– that they recognized that active participation of individuals, groups and institutions is extremely important to ensure consistent progress in this direction,
Taking into account, that for the civil society in general and for human rights organizations in particular a key issue is the implementation by the Republic of Kazakhstan of its commitments under the so called “third basket” of its obligations within the framework of OSCE, which include obligations in the filed of democracy development, rule of law and implementation of human rights and freedoms,
In view of the fact, that pursuant to the Resolution of the OSCE Council of Ministers â„–11/07 of November 30, 2007 the Republic of Kazakhstan will chair in OSCE in 2010,
Taking into account, that from 2009 a representative of the Republic of Kazakhstan (Minister of Foreign Affairs) will become a participant of the group of «three», including the former, current and future OSCE Chairmen,
Taking into account, that chairmanship of Kazakhstan in OSCE will probably contribute to democracy development, rule of law and to the implementation of human rights and freedoms in our country,
Non-governmental human rights organizations, parties of the given Memorandum declare the formation of the Monitoring Group «Kazakhstan-OSC 2010» with the aim to carry out regular independent public monitoring of the implementation by Kazakhstan of its international obligations in the filed of democracy development, rule of law and implementation of human rights and freedoms within the framework of the pending chairmanship of Kazakhstan in the Organization on Security and Cooperation in Europe.
While adopting the given Memorandum non-governmental organizations agreed on the following issues:
1. Major goal of the given initiative is raising the awareness of Kazakhstan and international public about success and failure stories regarding the implementation by the Republic of Kazakhstan its obligations within the framework of OSCE with regard to democracy development, rule of law and implementation of human rights and freedoms during the period from 2008 to 2011 and given the pending chairmanship of Kazakhstan in OSCE n 2010 and participation in the group of «three» in 2009-2011.
2. Participants of the given Memorandum declare their preparedness to concert efforts in carrying out such monitoring, including:
- overview of the legislation in force and draft laws related to human rights and freedoms with regard to their compliance with the obligations within the OSCE framework and international standards as well as development of respective recommendations;
- collection and dissemination of information on violation of human rights and freedoms in Kazakhstan from the point of view of our country obligations within the OSCE framework;
- publication of information pertaining to obligations of OSCE member-states, to international standards, to current legislation and draft laws in the filed of human rights and freedom in the Republic of Kazakhstan as well as the analysis and other information in mass media and also on the web-sites of organizations – parties of the given Memorandum;
- holding briefings and press-conferences to cover monitoring progress.
3. Monitoring group «Kazakhstan-OSCE 2010» shall consist of the leaders of non-governmental organizations that have signed the given Memorandum.
4. Monitoring group «Kazakhstan-OSCE 2010» shall be open to other non-governmental organizations that may join it provided that they share its goals and objectives and are ready to work together in monitoring obligations of Kazakhstan within the OSCE framework.
5. Monitoring group «Kazakhstan-OSCE 2010» shall function permanently.
6. To ensure organizational and technical back-up of the Monitoring group «Kazakhstan-OSCE 2010» activity there will be set up a technical unit, which shall include some of the representatives of organizations-participants of the given Memorandum.
Kazakhstan International Bureau for Human Rights and Rule of Law, Director
International Foundation for Protection of Freedom of Speech “Adil soz”
Ecological Association “Green Salvation”, Chairman
Public Foundation “Charter for Human Rights”, Executive Director
Almaty Helsinki Committee, Chairman
Almaty city, June 20, 2008